With the exception of the paintings and architectural elements, all of the works in this gallery are from the collection of The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of Ohio. These objects date from the American Colonial period (1640–1789) and the Federal period (1789 – ca. 1825) — the time before, during, and after the American Revolution.
This gallery pays tribute to The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America (NSCDA) in the State of Ohio for its unflagging efforts to preserve the cultural history of our country. The many period settings and historic sites that the NSCDA supports safeguard the history of American life and offer a true understanding of the nature and accomplishments of past lives and times. The artisans who created these works were practical, high-minded people who added strength and dignity to our American identity. The early Americans who owned these works embodied a sense of purpose and self-confidence that shaped our democratic society. Both artisans and patrons believed in our country and its promise. The NSCDA in the State of Ohio preserves, promotes, and proclaims these beliefs.
This particular setting at the Cincinnati Art Museum has been made possible through the generosity of the late Mr. And Mrs. L. W. Scott Alter. Mrs. Alters, a Cincinnatian and former president of the NSCDA in the State of Ohio, inspired the display of the Charleston setting and devoted herself to the acquisition of fine furnishings for the room. A gentlewoman of sincerity and thoughtfulness, she offered us a better understanding of our past. Through her strength and encouragement, she epitomized the Colonial Dames throughout America and enriched us all.
The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America In the State of Ohio’s Colonial & Federal Gallery at the Cincinnati Art Museum
This objet d’art was purchased in memory of Mrs. Luther Tucker (Josephine), our member, who died in October, 2007. It is a lovely, visually appealing, sophisticated silver handled basket (about 1810-1820) signed and inscribed by silversmith John McMullin. The basket is exhibited in the center of the Gallery at the Cincinnati Art Museum and compliments the other treasures in the room.